Homeschool Support And Resources

Shopping Reviews Forum Home  

Go Back   The Homeschool Library > Homeschooling Conference Rooms > Room 101 General Homeschooling Discussion

Old 03-22-2013, 06:23 PM
...he took care to produce the very finest and longest words of which the vocabulary gave him the use

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 278
Likes (Given): 903
Likes (Received): 894
Total Awards: 5
Library Donor Location Information Writer Curriculum Review Writer Essay Writer Book Review Writer 
Thinking ahead to the 2013-2014 school year.

Here's my tentative plan for ds #1 (who'll be in 10th grade next year):

The Lively Art of Writing
The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation
Vocabulary for the High School Student (Amsco)
Notgrass World History (includes history, Bible, and literature)
The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide (selected units on mapping that tie in with our history studies)
Apologia Physical Science (we were supposed to do this this year, but plans got changed)
Harmony Fine Arts music history
The Art of Argument
Combination of Mango and Power-Glide Spanish
Life Skills

I haven't decided what to use for math yet. I'm 99% sure that ds will be doing Geometry and hold off on Algebra II for a while. Now, it's really interesting how all this worked out -- everything I've listed above is something I either already own or can download free. The only thing I don't have is something for math. I used to have Teaching Textbooks Geometry (dd #2 used it a few years ago), but I gave it away because TT Algebra was a bad fit for ds so I figured TT Geometry would be, too. Now I'm kicking myself because if I'd kept it, I wouldn't have to buy ANYTHING for ds for next year. But the person I gave it to was really blessed by it, so I shouldn't complain.

Now, for ds #2 (my Aspie / ADHD child who just tolerates school; he will be in 7th grade):

CLE Sunrise Math
Real-life writing activities
Games for grammar
Typing Instructor for Kids
Reading Comprehension in a Flash
Reading from the Jamestown Literature series of readers
All About Spelling
Rummy Roots
Life Skills
Draw Squad
Everything else (history, geography, science, music) will be informal -- DVDs, games, etc.

On the schedule for 2014-2015:
Ds1: Tabletclass Algebra II; Excellence in Literature (American literature & writing); Easy Grammar Ultimate 11; Notgrass American History and Government; PACES Biology; ACT/SAT prep; IT class at CC.

Ds2: Math Mammoth; real-world writing; Typing Instructor; AAS 6; SOTW 2; Computer Science Pure & Simple; activities from KONOS Vol. 1; Social Skills group.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Call me Ishmael

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 29
Curriculum Review Writer Very Special Participant Book Review Writer Curriculum Review Writer Essay Writer 
I cannot "like" this, because I do NOT want to have my brain on next year - I have still got to finish THIS year!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes
Likes Rain liked this post
Old 03-22-2013, 07:25 PM
...he took care to produce the very finest and longest words of which the vocabulary gave him the use

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 225
Likes (Received): 82
Total Awards: 1
Curriculum Review Writer 
Oldest (15 then, 10th/11th) will be taking Physics, Algebra II and British Literature in a one day program. He also wants to take foreign language and Computer Science at the local community college, dual enrolled. I still need to go get him registered for that. We may have to hold off on foreign language, as I'm not sure he's quite ready to commute to the downtown campus, I think we'd both be more comfortable for his first semester to have him at the local campus (a block further than the public middle school he would have attended). He'll be doing driver's ed at a local driving school and is going to apply at a local kiddie amusement park and a barbecue restaurant across from the local campus of the community college (we know the manager).
Along with finishing his Eagle Scout stuff, finishing his Civil Air Patrol Mitchell Award (and going to officer training), and continuing as a junior instructor at the Tae Keon Do school, plus youth group and Confirmation, he'll be a very busy boy.

Older dd (will be 14, 9th) is easy in some ways. She has decided to go to public high school into their International Baccalaureate prep class. As part of that, she'll get some intensive Art training, and she's hoping to get some agriculture classes, too, and to join FFA, which you can only do as a ps student here. She'll keep up her volunteering as a horse handler for an equine therapy program. She'll also have TKD, Scouts, and youth group if she can keep up with it all. She might have to re-prioritize as she adjusts to being out to school all day again.

Younger ds (12, 7th) ... I haven't thought much about yet. I want to get him moving more on Algebra, but he's only going to be in 7th, so no big pressure. I'm torn, as always between trying to get him to do more formal stuff and leaving him unschooled. He's at or above grade level in everything but writing, even though he's dyslexic. I'll probably pull out more science books and get him working through something -- maybe early high school level materials like the Earth Scinece book I have from older ds. He also has a lot of TKD commitments, Scouts and Civil Air Patrol.

Youngest (8, 4th) will likely be doing a one day program with a few other girls at a friend's house (Grandma will teach -- she used to run a small school at her house). Other than that, I'll keep cycling through materials I already have from the other dc. Maybe SOTW, I haven't decided, I might let her pick. She's finally coming along in her TKD training, I'll probably keep going with my little Scout troop for her sake ... I'm hoping that the one day school gives her enough social interaction, she's a raging extrovert. I'd love to have her in school ft, but this program is the closest thing to an appropriate place for her that we can find.

Having dd and ds gone on one day (the same day -- school in the same neighborhood) will give me one day to focus on younger ds, since he'll be the only one home. Even if we stay unschooling, we can use that day to pursue his interests.
ds 1 (6/98) Homeschool Academy for Precalculus, Technical Writing and Economics at community college, German online through Oklahoma State, Boy Scouts, Civil Air Patrol
dd 1 (7/99) AP World History and Pre-AP English at home, Algebra II, Chemistry and Physics at Homeschool Academy, Landry Academy French II, volunteering as a handler at an equine therapy center
ds 2 (1/01) Remedial English at home, World History with his sister (not the extra AP stuff), Geometry and Biology at the Homeschool Academy Civil Air Patrol, Boy Scouts, TKD Instructor Training
dd 2 (2/05) US Geography, Khan Academy math, child-led schooling, Girl Scouts, TKD
Old 03-23-2013, 09:37 AM
I think I can! I think I can! I think I can!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 24
This is what I have swirling in my head for my ds who will be in 9th...

* Biology (using Apologia) - I'll be supplementing this through a few extra experiments, YouTube, reading, documentaries, etc. as he knows he will be majoring in biology in college
* English 1 (using SICC-B, Windows to the World + the syllabus for Introduction to Literary Analysis, Fix-It! for grammar, and I *think* Vocabulary for the High School Student) - probably seems like overkill, but our umbrella school requires this course include grammar, composition, vocabulary, and literature (and I have to provide them with samples of work for all core subjects)
* Algebra 1 (using Bob Jones)
* Taekwon-do/P.E.
* World Cultural Geography (using Bob Jones)
* Health (I *think* using Total Health)
* Semantics and Logic (using The Art of Argument)
* Drawing 1 - I have no clue what I'll be using. The plan is to incorporate this as much as possible with biology and also a bit of geography (he has asked specifically already to do an in-depth study of Japan, so I'm sure he'll want to try some manga drawing books with that). He's going to take a 3-day art course with Barry Stebbing soon, so I'm hoping to come away with better ideas afterward.
* Volunteer work - He'll continue to volunteer with one of our local educational/sanctuary centers that is affiliated with one of the big sea turtle conservation societies and also at one of the libraries with the certified therapy dog reading program.

For my 2nd grade ds....

* Botany (using Apologia elementary)
* Math 2 (using Bob Jones)
* English (using Bob Jones and Explode the Code)
* Spelling (create my own and use the freebies at Spelling City)
* Social Studies - We'll be marching to the beat of our own drum on this one. He may want to do more lapbooking, but I am not a fan. I'm hoping to convince him to do notebooking. He's been dipping into early U.S. history this year, so we'll most likely start there again and really go in-depth with reading, projects, etc.
* Geography - We'll do in-depth studies of whichever countries his big brother chooses to make things easy, then come up with a list of others. Lots of reading from the library (both informational and folktales/myths), maps, recipes, art/projects, etc.
* Artist/Composer studies - Notebooking approach, or lapbooking if he insists.
*Taekwon-do/P.E.
* Art - Whatever his heart desires.
two

Old 03-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Summer come back! Summer!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 327
Likes (Received): 309
Just started working on my lists this morning. (Must be March!)

My ninth grader:
History-- All American History vol. 2
Science-- Apologia Physical Science
Math-- TT Algebra I
Literature-- Progeny Press
Spelling-- Apples 2
Religion-- Intro to Catholicism
Grammar-- Easy Grammar Plus
Writing-- IEW pt. 2
Economics-- Whatever Happened to Penny Candy? Money Matters for Teens
Discussions-- Philosophy for Kids, You are the Senator/President/General, Are You Liberal? Conservative? Or Confused?

My fourth grader:
History-- SOTW pt. 4, United States History (workbook) pt. 2
Science-- Forces and Motion, Energy (Investigate the Possibilities)
Math-- Epsilon
Literature-- Progeny Press
Reading--
Spelling-- Spellbound
Religion-- Faith and Life
Grammar-- Easy Grammar 5
Writing--
Other-- Hands-on Equations, Story of the Orchestra, Child's Introduction to Poetry
and ds 10
And our new addition:

Old 03-23-2013, 11:13 AM
I discovered early that crying makes my nose red, and the knowledge has helped me through several painful episodes

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 396
Likes (Received): 325
Curriculum Review Writer 
I like to post these things, because then I can look back on it and realize that we didn't do half of it. DD is 12 and will be in 7th next year.

Tentatively . . . .

History and Literature: 2006 Core 5/F (Eastern Hemisphere). I also have the EHE. DD says she likes SL, even though she doesn't like all of the books, and we skip a lot.

LA: I also have the LA, but if I use it, it will be a lot less than what's in there. I don't know if it's the older version, or updated. I also have Jump In, and might use that.

Math: MCP E and F. I hope to finish F by the end of 7th. I'd like to get Hands on Equations. We also have LOF, and will read it just for fun.

Science: We've been unschooling science.

PE: She takes a gymnastics class twice a week.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Old 03-23-2013, 01:26 PM
None of them had any idea where the Holy Grail really was, and I don't think any of them actually expected to find it.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 124
Likes (Received): 27
Curriculum Review Writer 
Oldest (6th Grade):

This is going to be the year we focus on Writing. She is in need of a solid foundation in this area in order to move on in other areas.

Writing: IEW SWI (I haven't decided between A or B)
Spelling: All about Spelling
Daily practice of cursive & typing
Math: Life of Fred PreAlgebra
Logic: Balance Benders
Latin: Lively Latin
History: Based on Story of the World 2
Science: Rainbow Science??
Fine Arts: Art Fraud Detective, she'd like to take violin lessons
PE: Martial Arts & Figure Skating

Middle (2nd, possibly 3rd grade):

Writing: Writing with Ease 2, possibly some IEW
Spelling: All about Spelling
Cursive
Math: McRuffy
Latin: Song School Latin
History: Story of the World 2
Science: Magic School Bus
Fine Arts: Art classes outsourced, piano
PE: Running & Figure Skating

Youngest (1st grade):

Reading: McRuffy
Daily practice of writing
Writing: Writing with Ease 1 (possibly)
Latin: Song School Latin
History: Story of the World 2
Science: Magic School Bus
Fine Arts: ????
PE: general running around

J (12 yo)

K (8 yo)

S (7 yo)
Old 03-23-2013, 08:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 278
Likes (Given): 903
Likes (Received): 894
Library Donor Location Information Writer Curriculum Review Writer Essay Writer Book Review Writer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyjo View Post

Reading: McRuffy

Becky, what do you think of McRuffy's reading and math? We used McRuffy Science a few years ago and really liked it.

On the schedule for 2014-2015:
Ds1: Tabletclass Algebra II; Excellence in Literature (American literature & writing); Easy Grammar Ultimate 11; Notgrass American History and Government; PACES Biology; ACT/SAT prep; IT class at CC.

Ds2: Math Mammoth; real-world writing; Typing Instructor; AAS 6; SOTW 2; Computer Science Pure & Simple; activities from KONOS Vol. 1; Social Skills group.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 177
Likes (Received): 81
Total Awards: 2
Book Review Writer Curriculum Review Writer 
4th Grade
BJU Math 4
Essentials in Writing
Daily Grams?
Trail Guide to Learning Paths of Exploration
Artistic Pursuits

11th Grade
Jacobs Geometry (year)

Excellence in Literature American / Any Novel Novel Study (semester)
Research Paper (semester)
Lukeion Latin 1a (semester)
Lukeion Latin 1b (semester)

History Odyssey Early Modern / Modern History (year)

DIVE Chemistry (year)

Landry Academy Sports Medicine (semester)
Alaska History (semester)
Old 03-24-2013, 05:52 AM
None of them had any idea where the Holy Grail really was, and I don't think any of them actually expected to find it.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 124
Likes (Received): 27
Curriculum Review Writer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_Mom View Post
Becky, what do you think of McRuffy's reading and math? We used McRuffy Science a few years ago and really liked it.

I really, really like their math; I've used K, 1 and part of 2 so far. The level 2 math has a lot of problems in the teacher manual -- problems not matching the workbook, answers not given, items written in the "needed items", but then the instructions to use them are missing. So, I'm doing a little more prepwork than just open & read. With that being said, both my younger girls are doing wonderfully in math, it's their favorite subject. I love that visual-spatial things (pattern blocks, geoboards, copying 3D structures) are all scheduled for me. I had all of those fun things, but I either forgot them all together or wasn't quite sure how to fit them in.

The phonics is fun, but my K'er really wasn't ready for it at the beginning of the year. She's picking up speed now (we're on about lesson 40), so I guess I'll have a better review of it in a month or two. I like that it doesn't introduce things too quickly; this child wanted nothing to do with anything that looked like reading, so this program worked better than I think others would've.

J (12 yo)

K (8 yo)

S (7 yo)