Homeschool Support And Resources

Shopping Reviews Forum Home  

Go Back   The Homeschool Library > Homeschool Information Interactive Book Stacks > 500.00 Curriculum Reviews > 510.00 Complete Curricula and Unit Study Reviews

Old 12-20-2006, 04:50 AM
I will become the wind and blow you where I want you to go

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Total Awards: 1
Curriculum Review Writer 
BookShelves My Father's World

Name of curriculum: My Father’s World

Common abbreviation: MFW

Optimal age of students: The 5 year history cycle program is designed for multi level teaching for students in grades 2-8. There is also a K and 1st grade program. High school is being developed.

Type: Complete curriculum

Educational Philosophy: combines easy hands-on unit studies, with Charlotte Mason, and Classical Education from a Christian view

Worldview: Christian

Review: MFW is a chronological based history program that integrates the Bible throughout the program. The teacher’s manual is laid out in a weekly grid format with daily notes for teaching from the “spines”. The manual also contains an extensive listing of recommended library books that enrich the unit study in geography, history and science. It includes easy hands on projects that use common household items. The weekly lesson plans include a materials list for those projects. Notebooking is a primary method of review and “testing” in history and science. God’s word is a central theme to unify many subjects. Scripture reading and memory are scheduled. But doctrine is left to the parents to teach instead of from any specific denominational point of view within Christianity.

A quote from the website:

• Recognizes the Bible, God's truth, to be the foundation of wisdom and education.
  • Utilizes hands-on, unit studies with daily lesson plans that are easy-to-teach.
  • Enables families and multi-age groups to learn together. Many of our programs may be taught to a range of ages simultaneously.
  • Combines the best of Charlotte Mason's ideas and classical education with a Biblical worldview, an international focus and our own observations of how children learn.
  • Uses a comprehensive sequenced learning program beginning with preschool learning toys to develop readiness skills. Our complete unit-based curriculum includes a phonics-based learning-to-read program and focuses on God's amazing creation (kindergarten), the world of the Bible (first grade), and U.S. history (second or third grade). Then a year of geography sets the foundation for four years of chronological world and U.S. history.
  • Provides easy-to-teach, integrated curriculum that is enjoyable, academically strong, and focused on character development.
  • Is committed to the Lord of All, who tenderly searches for people from every tribe and language. A portion of our profits helps support mission work overseas, especially Bible translation projects. Our heart's desire is that someday soon all people would be able to read of God's love in their own language.
Strengths: The teacher’s manual is easy to follow with daily lesson plans to combine 7-10 subjects over the course of the day. Strong at integrated Bible with history. Hands on projects are easy to do. The planning is done for you. Designed to help combine students in one main program for grades 2-8 to study as a family.

Weaknesses: Some families do not like to use libraries. MFW encourages library use for enrichment reading in the unit studies. However, all required books for the program are sold in either basic or deluxe package.

Comments: David and Marie Hazell lived in Russia for eight years working on Bible translation and returned to the U.S. in 2000. They now devote the majority of their time to the development of My Father's World curriculum with the dual goal of providing support for Bible translation and raising up a generation of children that see God's hand in all of history and share God's heart for the nations

FTC Disclosure:
This site is independently owned and operated. The opinions expressed here are those of the independent reviewer/poster who has either used or sampled the product under review. The Library makes commissions on products sold through affiliate and advertiser links. The products reviewed here may or may not have an affiliate link, but it is a possibility. For a full list of current affiliates, check out the Affiliate Forum or the links on our Shopping Page.

oldest
middle:Ballerina2:

Kindy kid

me:happy:
Old 12-25-2006, 03:41 PM
The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another...

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
After having used Sonlight for 5 years

and NOT wanting to do more than one Core at a time (and wanting my kids to be learning together), MFW has been a complete blessing! I tried 2 other curriculums (this year!) before taking the plunge into My Father's World. I've tried Tapestry of Grace (too much work on my part and too comprehensive) and BiblioPlan (too dull--and I'm just not very creative to be adding things to a curriculum).

MFW has been perfect for us. Not too much reading (we loved most of Sonlight's books...but there were just too many each day), and just enough hands-on (most kids LOVE that stuff! That's the stuff they remember the most--the FUN stuff, right?!). The Teacher's Manual is never confusing...never! You just open it up and go each day. No searching through different teacher guides, either. It is all combined into one. Not too much reading when it comes to the Manual, either.

I plan to stay with MFW for the long haul!

I also don't mind using the library for the books. I have access from my computer to the inter-library loan system and that makes it easy. I just reserve the books and movies online and then pick them up when they are at my library about once a week. Easy!

Married to a wonderful man since 2000

Homeschooling our six- ages 17, 14, 11, 9, 6, and our adopted angel (well...he's a little stinker most of the time...but he sure is cute ) with Down syndrome born 3/11

2013 - Present - Mystery of History, Awana, SMASH (Southern Maine Area of Shakespearean Homeschoolers -- doing "Taming of The Shrew" in March 2014!!!), LLATL, Teaching Texbooks, and Considering God's Creation
High Schoolers also doing Notgrass, Forensic Science, and Apologia Science.
2006-2012 My Father's World (Every year completed except 12th grade)

2001-2005 Sonlight Cores Pre-K thru 3

My Blog

Last edited by Winni; 07-08-2007 at 11:26 AM..
Old 02-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Next to trying and winning, the best thing is trying and failing.

Post Thanks / Like
I also used Sonlight for my first 5 or 6 years of homeschooling, until it became necessary to do two cores.

I also felt there was too much reading in Sonlight. My kids all love to read, and always read all the Sonlight books within a month and then we'd toss the IG and just unschool the rest of the year.

Now with MFW, there is less "assigned" reading, and regular trips to the library. The kids have plenty to choose from the "book basket" and have plenty of "free reading" so they don't read ahead in the "spines" and then grumble about following the Teaching Plan.

The notebooking is SO up their alley. They love it. It's a great way to reinforce, review and yes, test what they have gotten from the reading.

Although it does say grades 2-8, I have found that my 2nd grader isn't enthusiastic about keeping up with her brothers, and my 8th grader needs a LOT more, but he's "gifted" so maybe other 8th graders would be sufficiently challenged. My 4th and 6th graders are LOVING it.

I bought the MFW K and like it, but am not consistently doing it. No fault of the program, it's me.

I'm a real mom. The kids are 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 5 and 3. My story's still being written, until it's finished, I only have a Working Title.
(That is http://blog.birthblessed.com)

Old 02-07-2007, 03:10 PM
There is no joy in Mudville.

Post Thanks / Like
MFW

This is our first year of hsing, and we are using Adventures in MFW. We really like it! Science is the only thing that I feel is lacking a little. I am planning on using it next year for my to be 5 yo, and my 8 yo! I love the fact that they have a suggested "game plan" for you! It has helped us out!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I just received my order!

I ordered Creation to The Greeks Deluxe and Kindergarten this year. I'm excited. It all looks very good and "doable."

What a great price, too. Only $650 spent for everything for 3 kids! Well, I still have to buy school supplies when all those great sales start...but still! That will only come to about another $50 from WalMart.

Homeschooling our six- ages 17, 14, 11, 9, 6, and our adopted angel (well...he's a little stinker most of the time...but he sure is cute ) with Down syndrome born 3/11

2013 - Present - Mystery of History, Awana, SMASH (Southern Maine Area of Shakespearean Homeschoolers -- doing "Taming of The Shrew" in March 2014!!!), LLATL, Teaching Texbooks, and Considering God's Creation

My Blog
Old 07-14-2007, 09:05 AM
One sister for sale!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 14
Winni, when you get a chance, I'd love to see a review about the K program. I am considering it for next year.
ds 10 5th grade
dd 2
dh
Old 07-14-2007, 05:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmmum View Post
Winni, when you get a chance, I'd love to see a review about the K program. I am considering it for next year.
Now, I hope I remember in a few months! I'm not sure when I will start with it. No later than August, I think. I have been looking it over and it looks fun!

My Blog
Old 04-08-2008, 02:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Well, now I will add more...since I have used about 4 of MFW's "sets."

So far we have used K, 1st, Exploring Countries and Cultures, and Creation to The Greeks. Here is what we thought of them all.

K: Each letter of the alphabet has a little mini "unit study." You get all kinds of ideas and some card games come with it, too (see the www.mfwbooks.com website). Your child is taught the sounds that each letter makes. That is great...however, my 5yo ds was not ready to blend the sounds as soon as MFW wanted him to. No big deal. He loves the cutting and coloring. I have added Get Ready, Get Set and Go For The Code (in the order that Sonlight's K LA goes--I still have the guide) for phonics practice. I taught my 2 older kids phonics with Explode The Code books/Sonlight's K LA...so I added them as a supplement. So far so good! I still haven't ordered the butterfly larvae (waiting for it to get a little warmer) or the ants for the ant farm (I need to do that!!!)...but I am going to. Oh! My 3yo ds also likes when I do school with his brother because I let him hold the letter card of the week. So he is learning, too!

1st: My (then) 7.5 yo dd did this last year. She did Sonlight K's LA the year before that. She didn't start "schooling" until she was 6.5 because she, well, just wasn't ready! Anyway, going from Sonlight's K LA to MFW 1st went very smoothly. In fact, I think they review letter sounds at the beginning and we just skipped that. Everything else she liked a lot. I liked the miniature wall timeline and junior-type timeline figures. I ended up not using their math, much, but I liked what I did use. We went right into Singapore 1A pretty quick. She loved the bible story book and notebook.

Exploring Countries and Cultures (ECC): My (then) 11yo dd did this last year. My (then) 7.5yo dd listened in (a little), but she wasn't too interested. ECC was fun. There were lots of neat activities (nothing that took alot of prep or anything) to do with it. ALL of my kids loved the Wee Sing CD that came with it. I really loved the inflatable globe. It was so much easier than the "on the stand" globe we had. You could hold this one so much easier...and it's like a big ball to play with! I'm surprised my kids haven't popped it. It was only $5...so if they did I would just buy another. We also filled in our Markable Map that we had from Sonlight. I plan on keeping that forever. The Trip Around The World books are very interesting. We LOVE all the missionary stories by the Benge's.

Creation To The Greeks (CTG): We're doing this now. We are in week 20. My 12.5 year old loves every part except for Streams of Civilization. she thinks it is boring. I kinda do, too. So, I just purchased a used copy of Mystery of History to replace that part. Plus, I liked Mystery of History's activities when I looked at it. We absolutely LOVED the Patricia St. John books! The Dinosaur book by Ken Ham (Answers in Genesis guy) was VERY interesting. The Genesis for Kids book has been fun and interesting science. My almost 9yo dd doesn't retain much...but she will get this all again in a few years, so I'm not worried.

All in all I still love MFW. I have access to a great inter-library loan system, so I can get almost all of the books (and some!) recommended on the website. It's fun getting different books every week. The activities are SO easy to do for those of us that aren't into difficult stuff. For instance...MFW's version of a sun dial is pretty much putting a stick in the dirt...lol. This year the girls wrapped themselves in toilet paper to be "mummies." Simple stuff like that...but they loved it! Some of the science experiments we skip if just reading about them is enough. Some of them we have done. Some of them didn't work (of course, that happened with Sonlight, too).

I have looked at other curriculums this year...and STILL only want My Father's World.

So, next year's plan is Rome to The Reformation with my 2 older girls, and 1st Grade with my oldest boy. I am looking forward to doing Apologia science! I still plan to do different language arts than what they recommend. We didn't care for the Primary Language Lessons books.

Oh! I also added in Sonlight's Book of Time and the Homeschool In The Woods timeline figures for CTG. I didn't care much for MFW's timelines figures for CTG. They were the same as the 1st grade curriculum's and kinda babyish.

Anywho...I didn't go into TOO much detail here. If you have any questions, just ask!

My Blog

Last edited by Winni; 04-08-2008 at 03:18 PM..
Old 04-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Next to trying and winning, the best thing is trying and failing.

Post Thanks / Like
Soon after I wrote the above review, I quit teaching and let the kids unschool again. Then they all went to charter school in July. I never did finish using the K with my son. It was stupid to spend money on it, I've never done K with any of my kids before. The writing, the kid refused to do... but the letter sounds were too easy. And now he's reading already without using it.

I would like to sell it, but my kids wanted to keep some of the books and no one wants to buy an incomplete set. I disliked the Patricia St. John books, honestly. There were too many activity books IMO. I ended up with about $150 in library fines (overdue and missing/lost books).

I've gone back to using Sonlight.

I'm a real mom. The kids are 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 5 and 3. My story's still being written, until it's finished, I only have a Working Title.
(That is http://blog.birthblessed.com)

Old 04-09-2008, 07:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Sonlight is good, too...but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown_Eyed_Girl View Post
Soon after I wrote the above review, I quit teaching and let the kids unschool again. Then they all went to charter school in July. I never did finish using the K with my son. It was stupid to spend money on it, I've never done K with any of my kids before. The writing, the kid refused to do... but the letter sounds were too easy. And now he's reading already without using it.

I would like to sell it, but my kids wanted to keep some of the books and no one wants to buy an incomplete set. I disliked the Patricia St. John books, honestly. There were too many activity books IMO. I ended up with about $150 in library fines (overdue and missing/lost books).

I've gone back to using Sonlight.
I just couldn't handle doing 2 Cores. Too many activity books? Hmm. I don't agree. In fact, I am about to add in some of MOH's activities to replace Streams of Civilization. We are always done by the time we are about to make lunch (11:30 or earlier). However, we don't do EVERYTHING (does anyone in any curriculum?).

We haven't lost a library book yet. Sometimes I forget to return them on time and end up paying a fine...but that's my fault.

The only writing required of my 5 year old in the K program is practicing writing the letters. However, the font in K is kinda small, so we use ETC and HWOT-K for that. Even then, I don't make him do it. If he doesn't feel like it, then I don't push.

I guess MFW isn't for everyone. But it fits us great. So did Sonlight, when I only had 1 schooling.

My Blog

Last edited by Winni; 06-01-2009 at 11:20 AM..