Homeschool Support And Resources

Shopping Reviews Forum Home  

Go Back   The Homeschool Library > Homeschooling Conference Rooms > Rooms 600-699 Discussion by Situation > Room 610 Discussion of Special Needs

Old 04-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Some pig.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Here it is, the new report came today.
Ds 12
1) verbal and physical dyspraxia
2) dyslexia
3) possible ADHD
4) oppositional defiant disorder
5) poor self concept (hates the fact that he can't read)
6) mixed receptive expressive language disorder
7) disorder of written expression
8) reading disorder
9) dyscalculia
10) dysthymia disorder (I dont know what that is)
11) phonological disorder

And

12) he just hates school

It's been a long day. Still not got it all sorted out.
ds 5, in glory,
ds 13,

and dd 12
Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 AM
...he took care to produce the very finest and longest words of which the vocabulary gave him the use

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 310
Likes (Given): 1045
Likes (Received): 1074
Total Awards: 5
Library Donor Location Information Writer Curriculum Review Writer Essay Writer Book Review Writer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
Our ds soon to be 16, suffers from Aspergers, PDD-NOS, ADD, OCD, Epilepsy, Asthma. We started out in public school and he wasn't diagnosed until 2nd grade. We ended up suing the school district twice for unfair treatment of special needs children. No, we made no money, we actually lost a lot of money, but it was a point that needed to be made. I home schooled him for 1/2 of kindergarten and 1/2 of first then 1/2 of second until now, high school. We used Prarie primer and now Blessed be the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmom View Post
Madison has spent her school year attending public school this year. Sigh, the only thing she has gotten out of it is some bad friends.

She will be 14 next month , mild mental retardation, PDD, ADHD, epilepsy, and probably every dys there is. She THINKS that everyone that smiles or speaks to her is her FRIEND. I am really struggling as to if we will be bringing her home again for school.
What are your kids on (if anything) for their seizures? Ds has been on a variety of things (Dilantin, Trileptal, Lamictal), but Depakote is the one that's kept him seizure-free.

On the schedule for 2014-2015:
Ds1: Tabletclass Algebra II; Excellence in Literature (American literature & writing); Easy Grammar Ultimate 11; Notgrass American History and Government; PACES Biology; American Humanities; Duolingo Spanish; ACT/SAT prep; IT class at CC.

Ds2: Math Mammoth; real-world writing; Typing Instructor; AAS 6; Rummy Roots; Computer Science Pure & Simple; activities from KONOS Vol. 1; Social Skills group.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 AM
...he took care to produce the very finest and longest words of which the vocabulary gave him the use

Post Thanks / Like
Library Donor Location Information Writer Curriculum Review Writer Essay Writer Book Review Writer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyAnn View Post
Ds 12
2) dyslexia
3) possible ADHD
8) reading disorder
9) dyscalculia

And

12) he just hates school

(((JennyAnn))), when you look at a list like that it can be overwhelming. I remember going through a period where I looked at ds like a walking list of abbreviations and scientific mumbo-jumbo. And it was, as I saw it, a great big reflection on me. I had no idea how in the world I was going to help him or even relate to him. At some point I let all of it go and remembered that he was my son, first and foremost.

Give yourself time. And talk to people who've been there (like us).

Ds hates school, too. I think for many special-needs kids, that just comes with the territory.

Ds1: Tabletclass Algebra II; Excellence in Literature (American literature & writing); Easy Grammar Ultimate 11; Notgrass American History and Government; PACES Biology; American Humanities; Duolingo Spanish; ACT/SAT prep; IT class at CC.

Ds2: Math Mammoth; real-world writing; Typing Instructor; AAS 6; Rummy Roots; Computer Science Pure & Simple; activities from KONOS Vol. 1; Social Skills group.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 29
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Ds 12
2) dyslexia
3) possible ADHD
8) reading disorder
9) dyscalculia

And

12) he just hates school

Little Miss Giggles - 9 years old
Little Miss Sunshine - 11 years old

and still missing Little Miss Chatterbox

**Praying for Sandys family forever**
Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 98
Quote:
dysthymia: a mood disorder characterized by chronic mildly depressed or irritable mood often accompanied by other symptoms (as eating and sleeping disturbances, fatigue, and poor self-esteem)—called also dysthymic disorder

JennyAnne, this is how *I* have found it helpful to deal with all of the labels and stuff. If it helps you, ok, and if not, just disregard it. With Lindsey, I kept getting more and more and more "labels". I finally realized that many of them were overlapping and/or just different names for the same issues with just slightly different 'symptoms'. For example, she is dx'd as disorder of written language, but she also is dx'd as dyslexic, dysgraphic, and moderate to severe expressive and receptive language delays. Breaking those down, it's she has a problem with writing down language, she has problems with figuring out what she's SEEING on the paper, she has problems with the mechanics of writing, and on top of it all, she has trouble understanding what she's hearing and what she's trying to say (or word recall). Ok, so she has trouble understanding what people are saying TO her, she has trouble figuring out how to say what she wants to say, and then she also has even more trouble with trying to figure out how to write it down correctly. Sounds more complicated to say it all that way, but once I figured out the 'parts', then I could see the whole........she has problems understanding language.....written and verbal. It's all one big problem, but each bit or piece has its own name. That is helpful in breaking down the big picture into understandable bites.....once you understand the connections between the pieces. I'll play a bit with your list and see if it helps you understand a bit more.

2) dyslexia
8) reading disorder

All of these are 'language' issues. In short, trouble with understanding, reading, and writing language, including difficultly distinguishing different sounds, distinguishing visual differences in letters, et al. The dyscalculia is sort of the same thing, only with numbers instead of letters (IN GENERAL. Remember I'm trying to do simple overview here, not detailed specifics)

So think about it for a moment. If a child has problems understanding what is being said [6] (in this case, both audible [11] and visual language [2,8]), they are going to have problems with "playback" or 'retrieval'[1,7].

3) possible ADHD

This one sort of stands alone. Except that mood disorders[10) dysthymia disorder ]] and ODD [4) oppositional defiant disorder]

Put the pieces together: multiple issues with understanding/using language, which included problems reading, add a bit of 'possible ADHD', and throw in a spoonful of "mood disorder" and ODD for good measure.........and the result is going to include some poor self concept [5], some "just hates school" [12]

HTH............and hope it makes sense instead of confusing things even more for you.

Ronda
DS 21
DD 21
DD 20 (mult. SN)
Former mom to R, now 23 Jazmine 11/6/11 , and Jaeden 3/2/13
"Granny" to Adrianna, 6 and Brayden, 2/14/2013
Being "Granny" to William (9), Abigail (5), and Jonathan (4) too. Adding Nicole (10 mos) to the list.

Last edited by bzmom6; 05-03-2012 at 01:29 PM..
Old 05-03-2012, 04:53 PM
The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another...

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_Mom View Post
What are your kids on (if anything) for their seizures? Ds has been on a variety of things (Dilantin, Trileptal, Lamictal), but Depakote is the one that's kept him seizure-free.
Madison has been on them all, but we had the best results with Tegretol. We have been off of meds for over a year now, with no seizures!

It is official Wednesday of next week will be her last day in public school. Now I have to figure out what I am going to do curriculum wise.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Some pig.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thank you, Ronda, I can understand what you are saying. I am surprised it has picked up so much with the mood/emotional side of things. Though in everyday life he seems to be so happy with himself, That is until he needs to read.
I spoke to his support teacher and she said what you explained here in short. She said they all tie in together and none of it was a surprise to her. I am going to speak to another teacher today and see if I can get him into a lower English level. If his language is between grade 2 and 3, I don't want him to keep struggling at a grade 5 level that he is in now. Remembering he should be in year 8. If he is to have success in school it needs to be at his level, hey?
Thank you for your support.
ds 5, in glory,
ds 13,

and dd 12
Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Not all who wander are lost.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 50
Total Awards: 1
Curriculum Review Writer 
I have one dd with ADHD and SID as defined diagnoses and possibly Aspergers. I used to worry about whether she was also bipolar, until we cut out corn syrup, dairy, and artificial flavors and colors. This made a HUGE difference for her.

She also struggles with persistent headaches, though she's been a bit better the past couple months. It's still enough of a challenge to put her completely out of being able to cope 1 or 2 days per week, though. Sigh.

Melinda S.
thingslearnedthehardway@blogger.com

20yo Meg; 18yo Jo; 14yo Amy #1 (might become Beth ); 10yo Amy #2

Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWomen View Post
I have one dd with ADHD and SID as defined diagnoses and possibly Aspergers. I used to worry about whether she was also bipolar, until we cut out corn syrup, dairy, and artificial flavors and colors. This made a HUGE difference for her.

She also struggles with persistent headaches, though she's been a bit better the past couple months. It's still enough of a challenge to put her completely out of being able to cope 1 or 2 days per week, though. Sigh.