Homeschool Support And Resources

Shopping Reviews Forum Home  

Go Back   The Homeschool Library > Homeschooling Conference Rooms > Rooms 500-599 Discussion of Homeschooling by Subject > Room 520 Discussion of History & Geography Materials

Old 04-27-2012, 08:10 AM
None of them had any idea where the Holy Grail really was, and I don't think any of them actually expected to find it.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 92
Likes (Received): 20
Total Awards: 1
Curriculum Review Writer 
History Odyssey or SOTW Activity Guide?

My oldest will be in 5th this coming year. I'm looking at getting a little more history in -- we've always just read & discussed or done short unit studies. She's read all of the Story of the World books, Children's History of the World, and the Usborne History Encyclopedia as well as many, many, many, many biographies. She was an advanced reader, so I steered her to non-fiction for a while. She's also done an almost 4 month unit study (in 2nd?) on Ancient Egypt, since she was so fascinated by it at the time.

Anyway, she's wanting some more "formal" history (OK, I'm wanting more formal history; she's just along for the ride). So, I'm thinking of starting her in Ancients and doing the classical sequence, especially since I'll have a 1st grader & K'er next year, too.

I've looked at the sample for History Odyssey Level 2, and I love the schedule and the mapwork and the timeline. I haven't seen the Kingfisher book yet, but from the sample at Amazon, it looks like it's laid out pretty well. I would probably sub something else (K12's Human Odyssey?) for The Story of Mankind, as I was underwhelmed by that on Google books.

I picked up a copy of HO for the younger set, but I didn't like it. It's too much for my 2 youngers. I think I'm just going to go with SOTW for them. I think I'll probably buy the AG for them. So, my (very long-winded, meandering) question is: should I just have her do the activities in the AG and skip HO? Is the AG enough for a 5th grader who has read extensively on Ancients but not done alot of formal mapwork and no timeline work? And, would it just be easier for me to get HO since it schedules it for me?

J (12 yo) -- Life of Fred, IEW, Lively Latin, Rainbow Science, Human Odyssey history

K (8 yo) -- McRuffy math, FIAR 4, Lively Latin, Magic School Bus Science

S (7 yo) -- McRuffy math & Phonics, Song School Latin, Magic School Bus Science
Old 04-27-2012, 10:00 AM
...he took care to produce the very finest and longest words of which the vocabulary gave him the use

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 205
Likes (Given): 542
Likes (Received): 529
Total Awards: 5
Library Donor Location Information Writer Curriculum Review Writer Essay Writer Book Review Writer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyjo View Post
My oldest will be in 5th this coming year. I'm looking at getting a little more history in -- we've always just read & discussed or done short unit studies. She's read all of the Story of the World books, Children's History of the World, and the Usborne History Encyclopedia as well as many, many, many, many biographies. She was an advanced reader, so I steered her to non-fiction for a while. She's also done an almost 4 month unit study (in 2nd?) on Ancient Egypt, since she was so fascinated by it at the time.

Anyway, she's wanting some more "formal" history (OK, I'm wanting more formal history; she's just along for the ride). So, I'm thinking of starting her in Ancients and doing the classical sequence, especially since I'll have a 1st grader & K'er next year, too.

I've looked at the sample for History Odyssey Level 2, and I love the schedule and the mapwork and the timeline. I haven't seen the Kingfisher book yet, but from the sample at Amazon, it looks like it's laid out pretty well. I would probably sub something else (K12's Human Odyssey?) for The Story of Mankind, as I was underwhelmed by that on Google books.

I picked up a copy of HO for the younger set, but I didn't like it. It's too much for my 2 youngers. I think I'm just going to go with SOTW for them. I think I'll probably buy the AG for them. So, my (very long-winded, meandering) question is: should I just have her do the activities in the AG and skip HO? Is the AG enough for a 5th grader who has read extensively on Ancients but not done alot of formal mapwork and no timeline work? And, would it just be easier for me to get HO since it schedules it for me?
There are definitely advantages to using HO 2 if you want a classical approach. It will give you the mapping and timeline activities -- plus outlining. Question: does HO use SOTW as one of its scheduled books?

I'm not sure if the SOTW AG for ancients has been updated since my copy came out. I know there have always been mapping activities; review questions; and reading assignments in the Usborne and/or Kingfisher spines (plus additional suggestions). What I'm not sure about: the outlining or the timeline. I'm pretty sure that outlining is not covered until the SOTW 4 AG (maybe 3). There are timeline figures in the SOTW 4 AG, but in my copy of the SOTW 1 AG there are just cards for memory work and review.

So you could use just the SOTW 1 AG and do your own outlining or summarizing with your oldest, and do your own timeline if the AG doesn't include the figures.

The logic-stage history suggestions in TWTM include, in addition to things like outlining and a timeline and mapwork and reading from a spine, having your student look up events on a historical timetable, locating places on a globe or atlas, and keeping a notebook with short narrations (you also keep maps and outlines in there, too).

So based on all this, here are two options:

1. Use HO, as is. It should be enough. It may not follow TWTM logic-stage history recommendations to the letter, but it's designed classically. It is also all scheduled for you, and that is a huge plus.

2. Use the SOTW 1 AG for all your dc. For your oldest, add in outlining or summarizing if the AG doesn't include it; a timeline if the AG doesn't include it; and, if you want, the timetables, the atlas or globe work, and the notebook.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:06 AM
...he took care to produce the very finest and longest words of which the vocabulary gave him the use

Post Thanks / Like
Library Donor Location Information Writer Curriculum Review Writer Essay Writer Book Review Writer 
I know you didn't ask for additional suggestions, but I have one. Biblioplan is designed for the classical approach; it uses SOTW as one of its spines; it is for grades K-8 (each age group has different reading recommendations, plus there are family read-alouds); and Biblioplan has optional maps and timeline figures that you can use. I used Biblioplan years ago for ancient history, and we loved it. Now I'm using it for modern world history with ds1, and I've added in several things so that it's even closer to the recommendations in TWTM for logic-stage history. Because it's classical in design, and because you could include all your dc with it, it might work well for you.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 AM
I go forth for the millionth time to experience life; to forge, in the smithy of my soul, the unforgotten conscience of my race.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 121
Likes (Received): 50
Total Awards: 2
Book Review Writer Curriculum Review Writer 
I would probably use HO on its own for an advanced 5th grader. FYI - The VanLoon book is not scheduled very often.

(MM-SOTW is not scheduled in Level 2.)
Old 04-27-2012, 10:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenJewel View Post

(MM-SOTW is not scheduled in Level 2.)
Ah. What about A Child's History of the World?

Old 04-27-2012, 10:16 AM
I go forth for the millionth time to experience life; to forge, in the smithy of my soul, the unforgotten conscience of my race.

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_Mom View Post
Ah. What about A Child's History of the World?
No. It just has the Encyclopedia and VanLoon's in level 2.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenJewel View Post
No. It just has the Encyclopedia and VanLoon's in level 2.
Okay. Well, if Becky still wants to use the SOTW AG with her oldest, she could do that, with or without the SOTW readings. She could add in the readings, or just schedule the AG activities whereever they fell within the HO schedule.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Okay. Well, if Becky still wants to use the SOTW AG with her oldest, she could do that, with or without the SOTW readings. She could add in the readings, or just schedule the AG activities whereever they fell within the HO schedule.

I was leaning toward since her oldest has already been through SOTW, she might be wanting to do something different. But perhaps the AG would mesh well with the HO topics too if she wants more activities than are already scheduled in HO.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:53 PM
None of them had any idea where the Holy Grail really was, and I don't think any of them actually expected to find it.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 92
Likes (Received): 20
Total Awards: 1
Curriculum Review Writer 
Quote:
I know you didn't ask for additional suggestions, but I have one. Biblioplan is designed for the classical approach; it uses SOTW as one of its spines; it is for grades K-8 (each age group has different reading recommendations, plus there are family read-alouds); and Biblioplan has optional maps and timeline figures that you can use. I used Biblioplan years ago for ancient history, and we loved it. Now I'm using it for modern world history with ds1, and I've added in several things so that it's even closer to the recommendations in TWTM for logic-stage history. Because it's classical in design, and because you could include all your dc with it, it might work well for you.

Oh, sure, throw another one into the mix! I don't know why I haven't looked at this one; I knew about it, but apparently it has slipped my mind. *goes off to check out Biblioplan*

J (12 yo) -- Life of Fred, IEW, Lively Latin, Rainbow Science, Human Odyssey history

K (8 yo) -- McRuffy math, FIAR 4, Lively Latin, Magic School Bus Science

S (7 yo) -- McRuffy math & Phonics, Song School Latin, Magic School Bus Science