Homeschool Support And Resources

Shopping Reviews Forum Home  

Go Back   The Homeschool Library > Homeschool Information Interactive Book Stacks > 400.00 Teaching Resource Reviews

Old 06-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Mischievous Librarian

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 114
Likes (Given): 787
Likes (Received): 412
Total Awards: 4
Location Information Writer Essay Writer Book Review Writer Curriculum Review Writer 
BookShelves Tobin's Lab Catalog

Name of resource: Tobin’s Lab

Common abbreviation: (if applicable) n/a

Optimal age of students: all ages, but primarily elementary

Type: Catalog and Website

Educational Philosophy: Unit Studies and Hands on learning

Worldview: Religious, Evangelical Protestant

Review: The Tobin’s Lab catalog is chock full of wonderful science materials that will truly complement any science study. From books and posters, to hands on kits and lab equipment, they have it all. The catalog is organized first around the days of creation, and then branches off into different curricula and general experiment kits. In the back are sections on lap books for science and history, as well as some art materials and math and history resources. There are also great materials for Boy Scouts, and a section of Usborne Books. There’s also a small section of "Teacher Resources" and a handful teaching of seminars on CD or DVD.

A quote from the website:
Quote:
What do you do with a kid obsessed with the physics of space travel and the mystery of electricity? Where will you find the copper sulfate and the prism he needs for his experiments? This was our quandary when Tobin was small. Baking soda and vinegar provided limited appeal, so we began to have a vision in 1994 for a science supply service that would benefit our resident mad scientist as well as yours. Since then, we have delighted in offering cool science stuff at great prices. Now our mad scientist is off to college (what will Megan do!?) and we're celebrating our tenth anniversary! We're grateful to the Lord for His plan and direction, and for the opportunity to serve so many of you over the years. We appreciate your business, and your voting us your favorite science supply catalog!!
Strengths: Loads and loads of options to spruce up your science curriculum. Fun hands-on materials for all subjects.

Weaknesses: If you aren't interested in Science and hands-on activities you won't like this catalog.

Comments: I only bought a few things from Tobin’s Lab, and it’s been several years ago, but I found there service to be great and the shipping fast. Somehow I’d misplaced the catalog, but I was cleaning out the other day and came across it again. I requested a new catalog and was impressed all over again with the wide selection of supplemental materials available there.

Have you used Tobin’s Lab? Have any comments or questions? Please share!

FTC Disclosure:
This site is independently owned and operated. The opinions expressed here are those of the independent reviewer/poster who has either used or sampled the product under review. The Library makes commissions on products sold through affiliate and advertiser links. The products reviewed here are sometimes sold by one of our affiiates. For a full list of current affiliates, check out the Affiliate Forum or the links on our Shopping Page.

--- I am a Christian,
a wife to my dh of 25 years,
and mother to one beautiful young lady, age 21, married, and in graduate school for a Master's In Library Science.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Tell me, O muse, of that ingenious hero who travelled far and wide after he had sacked the famous town of Troy.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 97
Likes (Received): 183
Total Awards: 3
Essay Writer Book Review Writer Curriculum Review Writer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanwithaGoodBook View Post
Have you used Tobinís Lab? Have any comments or questions? Please share!
The owner of Tobin's Lab is Tammy Duby. She is the co-author of The Ultimate Lapbook Handbook, and Tobin's Lab is currently in the process of trying to trademark the word "Lapbook." I had the pleasure of meeting Tammy and attending one of her seminars at the CHEA convention in California in 2004. She was enthusiatic, friendly, helpful, and professional.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Mischievous Librarian

Post Thanks / Like
Location Information Writer Essay Writer Book Review Writer Curriculum Review Writer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Plum View Post
The owner of Tobin's Lab is Tammy Duby. She is the co-author of The Ultimate Lapbook Handbook, and Tobin's Lab is currently in the process of trying to trademark the word "Lapbook." I had the pleasure of meeting Tammy and attending one of her seminars at the CHEA convention in California in 2004. She was enthusiatic, friendly, helpful, and professional.
Cool! Good information. Thanks, Heidi!

--- I am a Christian,
and mother to one beautiful young lady, age 21, married, and in graduate school for a Master's In Library Science.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Not all who wander are lost.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 50
Total Awards: 1
Curriculum Review Writer 
I have used them a few times, especially for lapbook stuff. Their catalog is a bit overwhelming, but I really like it. They have always been very nice to talk to, as well.

Melinda S.
thingslearnedthehardway@blogger.com

20yo Meg; 18yo Jo; 14yo Amy #1 (might become Beth ); 10yo Amy #2

Old 07-27-2007, 08:20 AM
I am Oz, the great and terrible.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Glad the rest of you have had good experiences with Tobin's Lab. My experience is different, and I will not order from them again.

First off, the company sent my order via UPS to my PO Box address, which of course meant it could not be delivered. An honest mistake, I suppose, and not that big a deal. EXCEPT I could not get hold of the company by phone or e-mail for at least TWO WEEKS. When they finally DID respond (via e-mail), it was with the exucse that they were a 'small family Christian hsing company' and could not be expected to be held to the standards of a large company. Excuse Me? At no time did they apologize for the error, just a 'don't blame us' e-mail after at least five attempts of contacting them.

Took another two weeks for them to get my order to me. I have no idea why, as could not get anyone from the company to call me back or respond to my multiple e-mails of 'where is my order'. I had no tracking info as the company had not yet resent the order. I had no problem with the order itself, when it arrived, but found I can get many of the same things through Carolina Biologicals or other companies for the same price. Glad others have had a good experience with Tobin's, though. And if this post is unacceptable, I will understand if it is deleted......you asked, though!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Mischievous Librarian

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by louise View Post
Glad the rest of you have had good experiences with Tobin's Lab. My experience is different, and I will not order from them again.

First off, the company sent my order via UPS to my PO Box address, which of course meant it could not be delivered. An honest mistake, I suppose, and not that big a deal. EXCEPT I could not get hold of the company by phone or e-mail for at least TWO WEEKS. When they finally DID respond (via e-mail), it was with the exucse that they were a 'small family Christian hsing company' and could not be expected to be held to the standards of a large company. Excuse Me? At no time did they apologize for the error, just a 'don't blame us' e-mail after at least five attempts of contacting them.

Took another two weeks for them to get my order to me. I have no idea why, as could not get anyone from the company to call me back or respond to my multiple e-mails of 'where is my order'. I had no tracking info as the company had not yet resent the order. I had no problem with the order itself, when it arrived, but found I can get many of the same things through Carolina Biologicals or other companies for the same price. Glad others have had a good experience with Tobin's, though. And if this post is unacceptable, I will understand if it is deleted......you asked, though!
That's terrible!! Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I've never ordered from them at all, but the catalog looks neat so I wanted to be sure and include information on it here. I hope your experience is atypical of the way they do business, but it's good for a person who might want to order to know that this possibility exists.

--- I am a Christian,